Car accidents can occur for a number of reasons and if you've been injured due to one of these, a personal injury lawyer can help with getting you the compensation you deserve for your injuries. The experienced team at Beckett brings expertise and experience to fight for justice and the compensation you deserve.
Common Causes for Car Accidents
Although there are many circumstances that can lead to a motor vehicle accident, some are more common than others. The following often result in injury and require a personal injury lawyer to assist:
- - Speeding – Speeding is the leading cause of death for Ontario drivers and speeding convictions can significantly and negatively impact insurance premiums.
- - Distracted Driving – With the rise of smartphones, distracted driving is becoming more prevalent. However, distracted driving isn't only due to phones. Eating, talking to passengers, and using other electronic devices all pull your attention away from the road.
- - Impaired Driving – Driving while impaired is one of the most commonly discussed causes of motor vehicle collisions. Despite countless campaigns to remind and encourage drivers to stay sober before driving, impaired driving continues to be a leading cause of accidents.
Types of Damages
After a car accident, it's important that you get the right medical care and support you need immediately. Once you are feeling better, a personal injury lawyer can help you manage any obstacles when it comes to filing a claim. Statutory Accident Benefits (SABs) coverages are provided by law under every auto insurance policy in Ontario. Statutory Accident Benefits provide compensation, regardless of fault, if you, your passengers, or pedestrians suffer injury or death in an auto accident. Everyone injured in a car accident in Ontario, even pedestrians who do not own a car and do not have auto insurance, are covered by this system.
You may be entitled to the following accident benefits:
- - Income replacement – replaces employment income lost while you are recovering from injuries.
- - Medical – provides coverage for any medical expenses incurred as a result of injury from the accident.
- - Rehabilitation – provides coverage for costs incurred during rehabilitation.
- - Caregiver – provides coverage for some expenses incurred when you cannot continue as the main caregiver for a member of your home who needs care.
- - Non-earner – provides compensation if you cannot carry on a normal life and do not qualify for an income replacement or caregiver benefit.
- - Attendant care – provides coverage for some of the expenses associated with an aide or attendant
- - Compensation for other expenses – provides compensation for other expenses such as family visits during treatment or recovery, housekeeping/home maintenance, repair or replacement of items lost or damaged in the accident, and some educational expenses.
If you die as a result of the accident, members of your family may also be entitled to the following benefits:
- - Death – this benefit pays money to members of your family.
- - Funeral – this benefit covers some funeral expenses.
How a Lawyer Can Help
If you or a loved one has been injured in a motor vehicle accident, a personal injury lawyer can help you get the justice you deserve. The sooner you can contact a member of the Beckett team, the better we can assist you with any questions or concerns you may have about the legal process. Our experienced team can go over your unique case and outline the specific options that are available to you or your loved one. We will help you understand the legal process, your legal rights, and which damages you may be entitled to. The knowledge, expertise, and compassion of the Beckett legal team will ensure that you are supported during this challenging time and help ensure you get the compensation you deserve.
If you're ready to take the next step, reach out to Beckett today. Visit our contact us form for a free case evaluation.
Published on August 5, 2022