Beckett Personal Injury Office In Downtown London

January 29, 2008

Suits Allege Ontario Priests Sexually Abused Children

by The Canadian Press

SUDBURY - In 1956, Greg O'Connor was a keen Grade 9 student in North Bay and had even skipped a grade, but that soon faded and he eventually dropped out of school after suffering what he says were three years of abuse at the hands of a priest.

O'Connor and six others yesterday announced they were suing the Roman Catholic dioceses of Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., and London, Ont., as well as the Congregation of the Resurrection in Ontario.

The seven lawsuits -- each seeking $4.5 million for pain and suffering, mental distress and special damages -- name six priests, who the men and women allege abused them as children decades ago. Only one of the six priests is still alive.

The litigation was announced in Sudbury by London-based law firm Ledroit Beckett Litigation Lawyers.

Allegations in the suits -- six filed in Sudbury and one in London -- have not been proven in court.

Lawyer Rob Talach said allegations of sexual abuse by priests are particularly troubling.

"Some victims are seen as betraying the church by coming forward,'' Talach said. "They'll be ostracized within some elements of the community. It's very difficult for them.''

O'Connor, who alleges Rev. Magnus Fedy abused him in the priest's quarters, said he wants parents everywhere to be alert for signs of abuse.

"(Look for) change in personality, weight loss, recurring sickness -- anything that changes,'' O'Connor said.

Thomas Miller lived beside O'Connor's school, Scollard Hall, and Rev. Victor Killoran befriended him. But Miller alleges Killoran also sexually abused him for almost four years.

Another child, Anita Contant, alleges both Fedy and Killoran abused her for three years starting when she was eight years old.

Killoran pleaded guilty to abusing a boy and a girl in the Kitchener area in 1990. Two other priests named in the lawsuits were criminally charged for sexual offences.

Wayne Thibert alleges his abuse began in southern Ontario and followed him to northern Ontario. But he now alleges Rev. Lawrence Paquette sexually abused him for six years.

Raymond Carriere and R.D. Sabourin allege that Rev. Rene Hebert sexually abused them on camping trips through their Sudbury parish when they were 14 and 15 years old.

A man identified only as J.G. alleges that Rev. Gerald Roy abused him for two years as a teenager.

Roy, who was sentenced to 2 1/2 years in prison in 2001 for sexual assaults against four altar boys beginning in the early 1980s, is the only priest named in the lawsuits who is still alive.

The same law firm previously launched three other lawsuits, each also for $4.5 million, against the Sault diocese in February 2007.

Beckett Personal Injury Office In Downtown London

May 7, 2021

Spring Road Safety Tips

Spring showers bring May flowers – in addition to slippery roads and poor driving conditions. Spring driving comes with a full range of hazards to be wary of. Check our latest blog for tips on how to stay safe this season!

Read More
Beckett Personal Injury Office In Downtown London

April 23, 2021

Ex-teacher who filmed students with spy pen, Ontario school board named in $200K civil suit

The Thames Valley District School Board and an ex-teacher who nonconsensually filmed students using a spy pen are both named in a 200K civil suit filed by a former London high school student.

Read More
Beckett Personal Injury Office In Downtown London

April 23, 2021

What You Need to Know about Pedestrian vs. Car Accidents

Do you know what a pedestrian accident is? We break down everything you need to know in our latest blog post!

Read More