Impaired driving is 100% preventable and it is not an accident as someone makes a decision to get behind the wheel impaired. No one should ever drive impaired or ride with a driver who has been consuming alcohol, cannabis or any other drugs that impairs their ability to drive. If you’re making rounds to parties and are planning on drinking alcohol or consuming cannabis, you can eliminate the risk of driving impaired altogether by planning a sober transportation option:
- Book an Uber
- Take a cab
- Take public transportation
- Arrange a designated driver
- Plan to spend the night
If you’re hosting a party, think about how you can ensure your guests don’t drive impaired:
- Have lots of food and non-alcoholic/low alcohol beverages available.
- Serve drinks yourself so you can monitor how much your guests are consuming. Don’t serve alcohol to guests who are already intoxicated. Stop serving alcohol long before you expect the party to wind up.
- If guests are consuming cannabis, try to be aware of their consumption/impairment levels.
- Know how your guests are getting home and who is driving.
- If you have Uber in your area, download the app.
- Have taxi numbers available.
- Be prepared to have intoxicated guests spend the night at your house.
Unfortunately, at Beckett we still have many clients who are victims of impaired driving. If you or a family member are involved in a car accident involving impaired driving, it is important to contact an experienced personal injury lawyer who will help you navigate the legal process and get the compensation you deserve. We have a proven track record of success in personal injury cases. Contact us today to book a free consultation and learn more about how we can help you.
Published on January 5, 2024